Thursday, May 8, 2014

Quick Thoughts on Mobile UX

Mobile UIs haven't changed a lot in the dozen odd years that I've been using cellphones. My first phone, a Nokia 3310, had an icon-based menu that I struggled to navigate using physical keys. My current Android smartphone still has an icon-based menu, albeit one I can navigate more easily using a touch screen. Although I can now access most applications straight from my multiple home screens and the quick launch bar of my Android phone, the navigation paradigm essentially remains the same. With the possible exception of Windows 8, most mobile operating systems have failed to take full advantage of the touch screen to make the mobile user experience easier and more intuitive. This is where Panasonic's Gesture Play navigation promises to bring about a sea change. Though the company is yet to release more details about this new feature in their upcoming P31 phone, the ads that have been shown on TV do look promising.


No comments:

Post a Comment